Friday, April 8, 2011

Waiting Day 4 - Church on Spilled Blood & Shopping

Today has been a lazy day. We are both tired from all the walking so we got off to a late start. I don't think we actually left the hotel until almost noon.

We headed over to the Church on Spilled Blood.






This was built as a memorial for Alexander II and was built over the exact spot where he was assassinated. It is basically a museum nowadays as no church services are ever held here. It is beautiful both inside and outside. I am going to post some pictures but I don't know if they will truly do it justice.



















Mom and I were both starving and had planned to eat at a restaurant that specialized in blitzes. Unfortunately, we did not realize until we were ready to head that way that the tour book with the directions had been left in the room. So instead we decided to eat a late lunch at a sushi restaurant.






Who would have ever guessed that I would be eating sushi in Russia. It was really yummy!! Apparently sushi has recently become very popular here. There are sushi restaurants everywhere.

On the way back to the hotel, we stopped at a little bookstore. There was a very nice Russian woman working there who spoke some English. She helped me dig through all the children's CDs until I found two in Russian that I liked. I also bought the girls beautiful russian fairytale books that I will give them when they are a bit older. Mom was able to pick up a few souvenirs as well.

We are back at the hotel and hoping to use the evening to get a little more organized. I am planning to look through the tour books and try to get the rest of our days here planned out.

Lindsey

Location:St Petersburg, Russia

1 comment:

  1. Lindsey, when I post a comment, I just click on "comments" and a comment box shows up at the bottom of the post I am trying to comment on. I'm not sure how you long in to do your posts, but try just going to the webpage, like the rest of us do that aren't actually updating it, and you should be able to post comments back that way. Let me know if that works.... keep posting, I love the daily updates!!!

    ReplyDelete